Thimphu travel guide with Places to visit in Thimphu for tourism

Thimphu the capital city of 'Druk Yul' or the Kingdom of Bhutan

About Thimphu Bhutan

Thimphu is the capital city of ‘Druk Yul’ officially the Kingdom of Bhutan. Punakha is the old capital of Bhutan, Thimphu became the capital city of Bhutan in 1961. Thimphu valley is situated in the western central part of Bhutan. Bhutan has one of the smallest economies in the world, but it is growing rapidly.Thimphu the capital city of 'Druk Yul' or the Kingdom of Bhutan

Bhutan’s economy is based on forestry, tourism, electricity generation and agriculture. Thimphu is the political and economic center of Bhutan contains most of the important political buildings including the National Assembly of the newly formed parliamentary democracy and Dechencholing Palace, the official residence of the King, located in the north of the city.

Thimphu is one big commercial center for vibrant business transactions. Though, in remote regions the main economic activities are rice, wheat and vegetable cultivation, orchard plantation and livestock farming. Mahayana Buddhism called Drukpa Kagyupa or Ningmapa, which is practiced by 75% of the population, Mahayana Buddhism is the principal religion of Bhutan, remaining 25% follow various forms of Hinduism and others religion.

Tourism  Things to do in Thimphu Bhutan

Bhutan tours                                         Snowman trek Bhutan
Druk path trek                                    Laya gasa trek
Chomolhari trek                                Gangtey gogona trek
Nepal and Bhutan tours                Nepal Tibet Bhutan tours

Thimphu is a place with a very small population in the country of Bhutan in the heart of the Himalaya opened its borders for foreign tourists only in 1974. It is the capital of Bhutan and is situated in the west of the country on the River Raidak at a height of 2000m.

Thimphu became the capital of Bhutan in 1961. The city is located in the heart of the Wang valley and is the most happening place in the whole of the country. All the head offices of the various government ministries and agencies are located here.Bhutan trekking tours

Main attraction of thimpu are Memorial Chhorten, National Library, Painting School, Handicrafts Emporium, Institute of Traditional Medicine, Sangaygang, Folk Heritage Museum, Weekend Market, Trashichho Dzong, Changangkha temple, Semtokha Dzong , Khandum Sonam Peldon, Pangri Zampa, Tango and Chagri, Dechen Phodrang, Nunnery at Zilukha, Buddha Point  etc.

Hundreds of Buddhist temples, monasteries and stupas are found scattered atop rocky cliffs, on remote hillsides, on uneven enclosures and all the other possible regions indicating that in Bhutan.
Capital city is situated in the bank of Thimpu Chuu and Raidak River surrounded by hills. The culture of Bhutan is fully reflected in Thimphu it respect of literature, religion, customs, and national dress code, the monastic practices of the monasteries, music, dance, literature and in the media.

Tsechu festival is an important festival when mask dances, popularly known as Cham dances, are performed in the courtyards of the Tashichhoe Dzong in Thimphu. Bhutanese government strictly controls the number of tourists allowed in each year, and encourages low impact Eco tourism to protect the country’s ecosystems and culture. One interesting fact about Thimpu is that it is the only one capital city without any traffic lights.

Official language of Bhutan is Dzongkha and most commonly-spoken language is Sharchhopka or Tshangla. Thimphu describe as a gallery of traditional Bhutanese art, architecture, culture, and tradition. if you need more information about Thimphu fell free to contact us.